How we got here…
Champions in Scotland is the new name for the successful Champions in Schools programme, created and delivered by Winning Scotland Foundation. Champions in Schools was delivered to more than 17,000 pupils across 24 Scottish local authorities using over 200 athlete role models.
We changed our name because we want all young people in Scotland – whether its schools, clubs or community groups – to meet and learn from our role models.
Research shows us that:
- Successful sportsmen and women can act as powerful motivational role models for young people, influencing their behaviour and values.
- Role models presenting personal, positive, consistent messages are more likely to bring about behavioural change than threats and fear-arousing messages.
- The impact of role models and the likelihood of behaviour change is dependent on reinforcement at home and at school.
- Role models are important for at-risk young people.
- Longer-term and supported exposure to role models is more beneficial than single events.